Friday, September 3, 2010

It's HARRY FREAKIN' POTTER!

So, last night my roommates and I watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Two of my roommates had not seen it yet (missionaries...) so I ordered it on Netflix and we had a Harry Potter Pow-Wow in the basement of our little townhouse. And as we watched, one roommate had many questions about what was going on. And I, being the dork that I am, tried to provide as many answers as I could about it. And that's when I started getting all nerdy and excited about Harry Potter. I have discovered that I really could talk about it all day if I had someone to talk to about it.

This is where I need validation. Someone PLEASE tell me I am not the only Harry Potter nerd in this world!

Please keep in mind that you don't have to be a crazy nerd like I am. What it a crazy nerd? Let me explain:

When Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (the book) was released, I read it in a day. And then, my older brother, two older sisters, and I had a meeting in my room about Harry Potter and what we thought the 7th book would be like. For HOURS, we sat in my room and talked about Horcruxes and what we thought they were, how Harry, Ron, and Hermione would go about finding said horcruxes, and if Harry would die in the next book or not (still wish he had).

The day that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out in 2007, my family was up in the mountains for a family reunion. But, the fact that we were about an hour away from civilization didn't stop all of us from driving to Ogden, Utah to get our books at midnight from a local book vendor. There were 7 of us in the car and all 7 of us had a copy of our own on reserve. Fast forward two hours and visualize all 7 of us reading in various corners of the condo we were staying in. I finished at about 10 a.m. that morning. Ten hours of stress, jumping jacks, Dr. Pepper, and bliss. Problem: no one else was finished. To this day, I still have no idea how I kept the explosion of excitement inside. I had to wait until my sister Kate called me after I had taken my extra long nap to discuss it.

And then, last night I watched Harry Potter with the roomies. And I often forget how much I adore Harry, Ron, and Hermione (but mostly Ron because he's the best! I love me a ginger) but I was reminded of my love while talking with my roommates last night. But I'm not ashamed at all that I love Harry Potter because I grew up with it. Harry was 11 when I was 11 and I could completely put myself in his shoes as I read. I really wish there were something as fantastic to read now. Sure, there are popular teen and children's series out there (some better than others...i.e Hunger Games, which, if I may say, is a great series) but none of them can really stack up. None of them make me nerd out the way Harry does.

Plus, the trailer for the 7th and 8th movie is EPIC and amazing. How could you NOT get excited about Harry Freakin' Potter?!




2 comments:

Gina said...

I don't know if I can claim that much zeal/nerdiness for Harry Potter. However, I am a Harry Potter nerd, for sure!! I love it. You are not alone.

Kallene said...

Aaaaaaaand I'm so grateful you are that Harry Potter nerd....because I may or may not be that roommate with lot's of Harry Potter questions.