Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"As the Good Books says..."


The title of my blog is taken from the film "Fiddler on the Roof". For those who have not seen the greatness that is "Fiddler on the Roof" (a love that happens to be a product of my childhood), Tevye, who is quite possibly one of the greatest fictional characters EVER, is an Orthodox Jew that mostly rocks. He sings about "Tradition" (much better than my dad who, bless his heart, tries to sound and dance like him), sports an awesome beard and hair shirt, and lives in Czarist Russia. Oh, to watch that movie daily. Well, maybe not daily because it is LONG as can be. A good three hours plus. It was "Fiddler on the Roof" that prompted me to read my favorite book, My Name is Asher Lev
because I wanted to know more about Orthodox Jews.

I have a reason for writing about "Fiddler on the Roof" and Asher Lev: I have made a decision to branch out and take a little bit of a leap with my education. While I will keep my major PDBio for now, I am going to try something new. And that would be looking into Jewish Studies as a major or minor. A minor at least, but I make no guarantees that I will keep my major what it is right now.

This all stems from not only my fascination with media involving contemporary Jewish culture but from a class I took last Winter about Judaism in the ancient world. I have never been so enthralled by a class. I loved going to it more than almost anything...except Anatomy. The curriculum required that I read a book called This is My God by Herman Wouk. It details what Orthodox Jews believe. It is a fairly comprehensive look into the everyday lives of Jews across the world. A Jewish Studies minor requires me to take Hebrew (how cool would it to be to write on my Med School application to say "I speak Hebrew"?)and a few other classes about Jewish beliefs and culture. To say the least, I am very excited. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it will work out...

1 comment:

Susie said...

WHAT?? So why do I find these things out from your freakin blog and not from you??? And I thought we were besties...granted, you did just write these things this morning! I'm glad you made a decision, or at least something that you feel at peace with. Way to branch out; you'll grow more leaves that way...haha. I'm hilarious.