Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why So Serious?

As a child, I loved Halloween more than almost anything. Christmas, summer, and Star Wars were the only three things that invoked more joy in my heart than Halloween. My mother would make us elaborate costumes and I would secretly trade my cute little pumpkin trick or treat bag for the biggest pillowcase I could find. I am fairly sure I have never been a girl for Halloween...Robin Hood, a clown, a pumpkin (both gender neutral), a fireman, G.I. Joe, Batman, Clark Kent, and the list goes on. This year would have been the first year I would have been portraying a female character if I had dressed up. I had a plan to be either Mariah Carey or Pam Beesley of "The Office" fame.

Over the last few years, I discovered I have little passion left for Halloween. There is only one thing I find to be of any value concerning this holiday: carving pumpkins.

I used to watch my dad carve pumpkins that were elaborate and pretty much awesome. I would try to imitate but fail miserably and end up resorting back to carving traditional triangles-for-eyes jack-o lantern. But now, I have a handy electric knife, awesome patterns, and a lot of practice under my belt. The only thing I don't have is matches. And so I decided to use my Christmas lights! They look a little funny because of all the different colored lights, but it works. And instead of carving one pumpkin, I went all out. This year it was four, one more than last year. My original plan was to carve Barack Obama, Jim Halpert, The Joker, and another unknown pattern. However, I was in NO mood to have my Obama pumpkin smashed by haters, so I altered the plan...



One of my favorite Pixar movies is "The Incredibles" and I thought since it was Halloween, I ought to do something kid friendly. Hence the Mr. Incredible



I did carve the Joker and when I finished and put the lights in, I was afraid. Oh yes...I was scared of a pumpkin.



And JIM! I just love him...happy!



Then last of all, we have Jack Sparrow. I carve him every year it seems. It's just that he's my favorite to carve because he's just so cool! I always screw up though...



And that...is all.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Wow Ern. Who knew you had a passion for this? You never cease to amaze.

Keke said...

basically awesome. ah, i'm discovering the joys of your blog.