Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I just want to say that this was the best Dundies ever! WOOOOOOO!

This has been a week full of madness. I had two tests (dominated both, sucka) and two papers AND I have a presentation on Formalism to do for a week from today. But you know what? Who CARES about me!? This particular blog isn't even about me or what I have been doing. Oh no, it's about something much greater: this week is the season premiere of The Office. Everything from here on out will be dedicated to the greatness of said television show.

The Office is good for me. Why? Because it is based in a real setting without mythical beings or other ridiculous story lines. The Office is a great show to live vicariously through because it has a pretty good basis in reality. Mind you, I have never met anyone like Michael Scott in my life and hope never to meet someone like him. On the other hand, do I wish to meet someone like Jim Halpert? Absolutely I do.

There are 5 reasons why I love The Office. And these are in no particular order until the last one which is the NUMBER ONE reason I absolutely adore this show

-One Liners- THings like "Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica" and "Absolutely I do." have become a common part of my vocabulary. Not only do I say them to people that watch the show and know what I'm talking about, but I also say it to people that probably have no clue what I'm alluding to. That is the glory of The Office. When I say these lines to people that watch, they laugh and we typically launch into a conversation about the show. On the other hand, when I say them to people who don't watch, they laugh. So...win win win.

-Jim pranks- I am so sorry, but a stapler in Jell-O? Putting Dwight's stuff in the vending machine and forcing him to buy it all back with nickles? Matching Dwight's mobile phone to his headset so he gets all of Dwight's calls? Faxes from "Future Dwight"? Oh, or my personal favorite, dressing up like Dwight and mocking him in every way possible. After I watch the pranks play out, I'm usually rolling on the floor laughing or lying on my couch/bed with tears rolling down my cheeks because I'm cackling with real laughter. It just doesn't get any better than that, my friends.

-It's not a sitcom...per se- It's still funny and considered a sitcom I guess, but it ISN'T. It's not typical and it doesn't follow the formula. A solution isn't found my the end of the half an hour block. Often it's only made worse. The beautiful thing about The Office is it has an almost uncomfortably slow pacing. The rhythm helps to reinforce the doldrums of Dunder Mifflin Scranton and contrasts with the zany characters. It's like watching real like with a bit of zing to it. Good.

I have something to look forward to- It is really something that just brightens up my day. Class? Boring and hard. No bueno. Tests? Ew. Papers? Sick. Life in general? Eh...could be better. And it is made better by the likes of Michael, Dwight, Angela, Andy, Jim, Stanley, Kevin, Phyllis, Pam, Merideth, Creed, Ryan (occasionally), Jan, Oscar, and even Kelly. Not Toby though. I'm on team Michael for that one. I am a Toby loather. I digress. Little, half an hour escapes from reality are good for a person. Just revel in the non-reality of their reality...which is kind of like reality...hmm...

-JIM AND PAM (you knew it was coming...it's me, for crying out loud!)- Ah...love. Their love inspires me to be a better person. No, really. After watching for three seasons of heartache, anguish, and unrequited love, we (the "Jam" faithful) were rewarded with a glorious "Well, it's a date" and BAM! PB&J was born and the rest is history. At last they are together. And if they don't get engaged by Christmas, I will personally drive to California, hunt Greg Daniels down and somehow force him to write it in. I honestly can't take it much longer. The proposal gag in the season finale was enough to cause a riot last spring among women across the country. If they pull a Ross and Rachel where they are meant to be TOGETHER ("TOGETHER" being different than "together" in that marriage and never breaking up is involved in "TOGETHER") but they aren't till...the last scene? Kill. If they want to portray this as a real relationship that works, then by golly! get those kids MARRIED! And let them have lots of cute and hilarious children. Get on that writers. Appease me!


And now to wait until tomorrow for my one hour of bliss. Just one more day. My mantra till 8 p.m. tomorrow.

1 comment:

Brant Avondet said...

Erin, you make me want to watch more television...I am so lucky to be your sister. You're funny and cool and I wish I got to see you more....

jen