Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Word: Motivation, Definition: Not Erin

Word: Motivation
Definition:
1. the act or an instance of motivating.
2. the state or condition of being motivated.
3. something that motivates; inducement; incentive.

(Don't you love it when the word you are trying to define is part of the definition? So unhelpful)

I am surrounded by my science books (literally, not kidding, sitting on my floor, with Micro Bio on my left and O-Chem on my right with Astronomy behind me). They are there so I will feel motivated to do my homework. To be truthful, for some strange reason, this semester has brought a sense of laziness and a desire to sit around and do nothing. This has never happened to me in my ENTIRE LIFE. Usually, I am able to sit in the library or my apartment and just go. Once I got started, I could go for hours without a hitch. Not one problem on my horizon except whether or not this carbon would bond with that oxygen. But this semester? This semester is an absolute nightmare in terms of finding motivation.

Why?

Option One: My mind has suddenly become so focused on The Office starting up again that it can't do anything else.
Option Two: My brain is already full and cannot be filled beyond capacity.
Option Three: London has ruined me. I go there and I learn so much, see everything, and have the time of my life gallivanting around. Then I come back to Provo where everything is out of a book now. The U.K. transformed me into an entirely hands-on learner...drat!
Option REALITY: I have entered Senior mode two years too early. Seeing as how I will have to attend one semester beyond the "typical" (HA!) 4 years, I will graduate in December 2010...reality hits. I have 2 more years. My brain has just comprehended the fact that I will be here till the END OF TIME. Kill the world. So, attempting to exact revenge on me, my brain has decided to wipe out all motivation and replace it with desires to watch bad television shows, eat Otter Pops, and read teen lit.

Solution?: Maybe this is just self fulfilling prophecy. I'm going to stick it to the man. I will turn on Harrison (my little red i-pod), change it to my chill Peter Bradley Adam's music, pick up My Name is Asher Lev and read till I DIE!...and then I will finish that RIDICULOUS study guide for Astronomy so I can get it out of the way. To be honest I have no idea what in the SAM HILL I will do to remain motivated. But I am open to suggestions.

No comments: